Tuesday, February 5, 2008

unexpected

I totally suck at writing poems. Well, I was not really born to craft a winning declamation piece or melt people's heart. I'm just not good at stringing words together, rhyming words so to speak.

Words won't just bud from my brain. Okay. Let me restate that. Sane words won't just bud from my brain. Would you consider "flower-power" lucid? Everytime I try to make a poor attempt to be a poet laureate, this pair of rhyming words automatically flows from my neurons. Hell, I do not know why! Some involuntary nerve I obtained from third grade? I guess. Not a purely absurd presumption afterall. I, if truth be told, learned flower-power, an overrated rhyming words example, in third grade.

Casing her indispensable absence, my English teacher left a seatwork I never looked forward to. The class was instructed to make a poem inclined with a paradox, metonymy or allusion. Oh men! Did you just say another poem? Oh well, the previous poems I have made in my life are all, without doubt, for the sake of passing a seatwork, project, portfolio, assignment or quiz. What's the difference afterall?

It was a topic of free will. Anything under the sun. And anything under the sun makes my head blunter. I was very much on lethargic mode. I doubted if I can finish one by the end of the hour. I was purely loitering and amidst my idle stroll, I saw my classmates working on the seatwork. It was a thwarted feeling. So, they are working on the seatwork huh? Well, I am not!

But my stand-in kept getting bothered. Di ba talaga ako gagawa? English is the last subject I wanna mess up with, really. At talagang patigasan. I am not passing a seatwork by the end of the period, or even by the end of the day. Afterall, Miss Carpio might just let it pass if I pass one tomorrow. Anyway, the class president to whom the seatwork was given to was pretty much on a sluggish state, I can say.

But I waked up today remembering that I did not finish any poem last night. I have not even started a single line! In the course of the day, I was all bothered... just bothered. I tried skipping recess so I could work on this upsetting seatwork. But I can't just turn down the company of my friends. :) I allowed myself to accompany them in the canteen with my pen and paper. I did not buy anything to feed myself because I was too focused to finish, uhm, or should I say, start a poem. Thirty minutes passed by...guess what? Course, I wasn't able to germinate a line.

The only thing that consoles me is English is the last hour of the day. Anyway, I still have lunch. I will have finished that by lunch. But then again, lunch passed. And the recess in the afternoon passed. I was in the point of return.

Nice try miss, the disturbia brought you nowhere. We arrive to the final
hour and accept it, you did not finish, and again have not even started, a poem
inclined with a paradox/metonymy/allusion.


Miss Carpio finally asked the class president for the outputs yesterday. To her dismay, there were only a few papers submitted to her. Not even the one to whom she had entrusted the seatwork complied. And there goes the blah...blah...blah...the scolding went on. The next thing I knew, we, who did not care to finish a line (I cared actually! I just wasn't...aarggh.), were standing. We were asked to finish a poem within the period. Same instructions. Just this time, we have to squeeze the words out standing.

Suddenly, I was Isaac Mendez. Like how his fingers started to paint a magnum opus, my pen started scribbling words I did not know where the hell did they come from. Really, I would love to share you the work of miracle that happened hours ago but sadly, I lost my draft (see, I'm very good with losing things.)

I approached the table and I passed my work. Out of nowhere, she told me she handpicked me to represent the school for poem-writing in the 5th National Science Congress. Dude. I really wanna explode a boisterous laugh that very moment but I managed to emit a modest smile.

The incident wouldn't really give a good hard laugh, but afterall ain't it hilarious? :) It was pretty funny for me.

I said no. Of course, I do not trust my poetic skills (oh so do I have them? :P). I insisted that I would just work for the school paper. I was even sent to the office of the HS Academic Chairman so to plead that I am not in any chance joining the tilt. He was very dismayed with my spirit. I springed all the reasons I can come up with no matter how flattering the words he says of me. Well, being a delegate means paying the fee. And I am not paying the fee! I insisted that I will just work for the newsletter, the least thing that I could do for the science meet.

By the end of the day, I turned down the opportunity. It could have been a very good risk though. But being the first choice to compete for poem-writing, it was pretty silly, but it was more than I could ever think of. :)

So I do not suck at all. :)

No comments: