Saturday, February 2, 2008

for YUH.

I wrote this essay like six months ago. This is my ADMU Essay in response to their application requirements. Working on this (meaning deciding what topic to expound, dealing with the pressure to catch the eye of a blue eagle and all ++) denoted a brain bomb. Absolute.

I dedicate this post to one of the sparkling gems (how did I come up w/ that?haha.) in my insane-sane-insane-sane life, Maruh. ( Friend, it's worth the link, hey, you've got an exposure, see? :D ) You made me post this.
***
Are there any significant experiences you have had, or accomplishments you have realized, that have helped to define you as a person?

I learned the other day that a classmate from grade school is now a Cadet Major in their school and the Corps S2 of their batch. Hearing anything CAT makes my heart twinge and smirk. I wonder and ponder; does she have a similar life?

Candidate Officer Leadership Training (revised C.O.C.C. in my school) practically changed my life. From being the remorseful latecomer for two years, I morphed to a patron of public transportation and a fan of punctuality. For the love of being early, I allowed myself to get hit by a tricycle that I limped for a month. I endured and survived three-month pumpings with an injured limb. I wore pigtails that made me bear out dreams of being Baby Spice. Placard served as a year round nametag. I shouted a nine-letter codename from extremely humdrum to exceptionally thrilling formations. Hanay became a household name. 7/11 served my gastronomic wants and needs. I lost the so-called friends but the unfeigned have stayed. I obtained the best circle of friends. I lost family ties. I was not in good terms with my mother often times. I enjoyed the clique of quitters and uncovered the tales and goodness of quitting. I disgusted the word “Unity.” I offended and got offended. The bosses brought me into a hurdle to choose between the High School Board of Students and Citizenship Advancement Training. Taking me to insanity, a class of good riot and unforgettables fostered me. I cried the hottest tears and flashed the coldest grins. These all happened for eight treasured months.

Last 26th of May, eleven hard slaps hit my face concluded my eight-months sojourn. It was the final station of six days of physical challenges, mental check-up and emotional hell. C.S. Lewis captured the alpha-omega relationship on the last page of the Chronicles of Narnia, his seven-book children’s fiction series: “For us this is the end of all stories…But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world…had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story.” Yes, it marked the end of the COLT and marked the beginning of a far bigger responsibility.

My fellow officers and I were under observation for two months before our final ranks and designations are unleashed. I have been appointed officer-in-charge several times together with my mates. I heard the call for deep perseverance and elevating optimism. Design and submit a comprehensive Summer Training documentation, construct the activity plan and facilitate an overnight Leadership Training for a hundred students, work on the physical arrangement of the Acquaintance-Disco— these tasks were handed out to me at my most favorite package— surprise.

Even before the strike of the school year, I already had a deadline to meet. It’s funny to think I have not even met my teachers who will kill me with projects yet I have to work tirelessly in front of the monitor. A day before the opening of classes, I have to offer my crib to my mates to cradle all the paperworks.

Haggard, I have confused myself with activity and productivity. I thought knowing my purpose would simplify and focus my life. Maybe, I tried to do more than God intended for me.

I told you. I disgusted the word “Unity.” We are sixty three in the unit, yet, there are only few that get pissed, bothered and hassled over and over again. And these are the people I love. These are the people I work with at sleepless nights and no-time-for-recess days. I curse those unconscious people and they curse me back. I got myself a mortal enemy and chums convert to users and backstabbers. On the other hand, I love to beam that arrogant smile for the lagi-na-lang-kayo compliments from the Commandant.

Outside the unit, the so-called friends did not run out of queries. I did not explain. Friends will understand and foes will not believe anyway. I love the circle I have now. My mother never understood and never supported that made me cry because she did not ever. Nevertheless, I am thankful that she has been continually permissive.

CAT is more than the formations, the marchings, the rifles and the commands to me. I saw more beyond the principles of commitment, discipline and leadership.

CAT is a family. I have treated my mates the best brothers and sisters I could ever have. And so the feeling is mutual. We may not be related by birth, marriage or adoption but the bonds generated are as strong as or even stronger than those. They have been the best partners in crime and the best shoulders to lean on. Our Commandant is next to our fathers. He never failed to show us love.

CAT is a quest. It was a search for self-identity. Nathan Scott quoted, “Stepping up. It's a simple concept. It basically means to rise above yourself; to do a little more, to show you something special.” Yes, I learned to step up and stand tall. When my heart will break again, I’ve got to fight like hell to make sure I’m still alive and kicking. The pain, confusion, fear and insecurity are all self-imposed. No one learns to walk by taking only the first step. I should not be afraid. I am a tough cookie.

CAT is a learning experience. Everyday is an investment to wisdom and knowledge. I always like to give the name experience to my mistakes. I have learned that you become effective by being selective. I have distinguished friends from companions. I realized to loosen up my buttons and don’t live by the opinion of others. I understood the reason they pull you down is because you are above them. I developed the love for work. I have contemplated over that pessimism is a waste of life. I discovered that laughter is not far behind tears.

I still leave the house before the sun opens it eyes. I still pass by 7/11 to serve my cravings. I still have the silliest “best friends.” I still get scolded by my mother over misunderstood matters. I am busy and people find my lifestyle pathetic. The emotional saga extends. If my classmate from grade school lives exactly the same life, I don’t know if she’ll be happy, but I am.

I am a CAT Officer. Two hours from now, I will be inaugurated as Cadet Major Mirano, Karen Anne A. - Corps Executive Officer. This is my story.

***
I told you, I wrote this like six months ago. Things have changed. Some strings of this ____(crap?) are now obsolete, some still beautifully existing. Nevertheless, I cannot change the fact that the essay was passionately crafted-- 100% true, 100% heart.


(hours after this post, I thought of some persons who really loathed me for my CO Experience so I deleted this then. But turned out, nabasa niya na pala. I don't have to be bothered anymore. So here I am (yes I am this essay) again.)




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

galing galing. ang ganda. pucha tae yung ateneo essay ko! ang galing i swear.

Anonymous said...

wait isa pa. nakakiyak. it made me realize something. <3

karen mirano said...

ayos nga eh. si chris nag-comment diyan. i deleted that before kasi i thought of him and what would his thoughts be. pero turned out, he gave me the reason to post it...again. haha! surreal!